Updated: Sep 27, 2019
So, many of the people who has known me for yearsss know my meal of the day is BREAKFAST! I used to eat cereal morning, noon, and night! Not only that, I loved the breads the MOST --pancakes, waffles, bagels, muffins, AND MY FAV, BISCUITS :) .
There's nothing better than losing weight without starving yourself or feeling restricted! I've found in my own journey that nutrition-dense and tasty foods will keep you active physically and mentally, while aiding in weight loss.
One thing that kept me focused in my own weight loss journey was finding healthier versions for my favorite fattening foods/meals (such as the ones I listed above). Here are three healthy recipes that I have found to be fulfilling, as well as, tasty!
And since our taste palettes vary from person to person, feel free to make it your own by spicing it up with natural spices & herbs (red pepper flakes, parsley flakes, ground cinnamon).
Make sure you SAVE & SHARE these recipes!
1. WHOLE WHEAT TOAST WITH EGGS & AVOCADO
• 1 whole wheat toast
• 2 eggs
• 1⁄2 avocado
• 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes or black pepper
• Olive oil
• Salt to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and crack open the eggs. (I also enjoy doing it with scramble eggs!)
2. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. In the meanwhile, mash half an avocado.
4. Place the mashed avocado on the whole wheat toast.
5. Place the sunny side up on top of the mashed avocado.
6. Sprinkle some chili flakes or black pepper and a pinch of sea salt, and you're done!
2. OATS & FRUIT BOWL
• 2 tablespoons oats
• 1 kiwi, chopped (you can also substitute with another fruit such as: strawberries, peaches, blueberries)
• 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds (you can substitute with ground flaxseeds)
• 1 cup almond milk/1% milk (or skim milk)
• 1 teaspoon ground jaggery (you can also substitute with another sweetener, such as, agave nectar, honey, or molasses)
• A pinch of sea salt
1. Bring a cup of almond/full-fat milk to a boil.
2. Add the oats and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the flame and add the chopped kiwi, chia seeds, and powdered jaggery.
4. Your tasty and healthy breakfast is ready!
3. TURKEY BACON & VEGGIE OMELETTE
• 2 whole eggs or egg whites
• 2-3 strips of turkey bacon (or you can substitute for: ground turkey/chicken, grilled shrimp, plant-based or no meat if you're vegetarian)
• 1/4 onion
• 1/2 tomato
• 1/2 zucchini
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• A pinch of sea salt
• A pinch of pepper
1. Finely chop the onion and tomato in a bowl.
2. Slice the chives and add to the bowl.
3. Make zucchini ribbons with a peeler. You can just chop them as well.
4. Add the eggs, sea salt, and pepper and beat the eggs well.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan.
6. Add the egg mix and cook until you are able to flip it over.
7. Once one side is cooked, layer the smoked turkey bacon strips and zucchini
on one side of the omelette.
8. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the bacon and zucchini.
9. Flip the other part of the omelette over the turkey bacon and zucchini (like a
10. Cook it for about 15 seconds and transfer the omelette to a plate. Enjoy!
Side note: I'm from New Orleans and we love adding a dash of hot sauce to our eggs for an added dash of spice!